Memory foam mattresses give you the luxury of sinking into your bed at night while still getting the support you need for a good night’s sleep. But they are not entirely carefree. With proper care and regular cleaning, you can extend the life of your memory foam mattress and get a good night’s sleep for years to come.
How to Unbox and Expand Your Memory Foam Mattress
Unboxing and expanding your memory foam mattress is pretty straightforward. Here’s how.
- Open the box and slide the mattress from the box.
- Place the mattress on the bed you intend to use it on.
- Remove the plastic using care not to use scissors or sharp objects that could damage the mattress.
- Allow the mattress to sit for 24 to 48 hours to expand.
How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
Your memory foam mattress can’t be washed in the washer, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be cleaned to remove soiled areas and keep it fresh and allergen-free. Here’s what you need to know.
- Vacuum the mattress to remove lint, crumbs, or other surface debris. Take your time and get into all the crevices.
- Mix a cup of water with ½ cup fabric cleaner or distilled white vinegar. Pour it into a spray bottle and shake it to mix it thoroughly.
- Spray soiled areas lightly with the mixture using care not to soak the mattress.
- Scrub any stains with a soft cloth. If they resist your efforts, you can use a steam cleaner or a solution of one-part mild laundry detergent and water.
- Sprinkle the surface of the foam mattress with baking soda and let it sit for 30 minutes to deodorize your foam mattress.
- Vacuum up the baking soda.
- Let the mattress dry thoroughly. Open the windows and use a fan to circulate air and dry the mattress.
How Often Should a Foam Mattress Be Rotated?
Over time your foam mattress may begin to sag in areas that receive heavy pressure, typically around the shoulders and hips. Rotating your foam mattress will help eliminate sagging areas and extend the life of your foam mattress by up to a year, says the Sleep Foundation. However, a memory foam mattress does not need to be flipped because the foam is located on the top of the mattress.
Memory foam mattresses should be rotated every 6 to 12 months. With proper care and regular rotating, your foam mattress should last for 6 to 8 years.
How Can You Make a Memory Foam Mattress More Comfortable?
Memory foam mattresses are built with comfort and support in mind, but if you want to make yourself more comfortable, a mattress topper or fiber bed may do the trick. The type of mattress topper that is best for you depends on whether you prefer to sink into the bed in luxury or if a firmer topper suits your style.
Mattress toppers can also extend the life of your mattress by reducing sagging from pressure points. Another advantage of using a mattress topper is that those made from breathable material can keep your cooler at night if overheating is an issue for you.
Can You Fold a Memory Foam Mattress or Foam Mattress Topper?
Memory foam is not designed to be folded and can be damaged easily. Therefore, you should never fold a memory foam mattress or memory foam mattress topper as it will compromise the quality of the foam and shorten the lifespan of the mattress or topper.
Taking the time to care for your memory foam mattress will improve the quality of your sleep by alleviating sagging at pressure points and keeping it clean, fresh and allergen-free. It will also extend the lifespan of your foam mattress by a year or more.